Welcome to St. John's on-the-Hill, a co-educational day and boarding preparatory school with all-year round Day Nurseries and a Pre-Prep. The Pre-Prep, Main School and Tutshill Day Nursery are situated in their own extensive and attractive grounds on the border of Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire, overlooking Chepstow Castle and the picturesque Wye Valley. With a second Day Nursery near Chepstow Racecourse and a third at Celtic Springs Business Park Newport, St. John's aims to provide the highest standards of care and eduction for children aged from 3 months - 13+ years.
About the school
St John's on-the-Hill is a co-educational day and boarding Prep School including a Pre-Prep as well as all year round Day Nurseries. Founded in 1923, St John’s combines the best traditional values with a modern approach. Offering both academic strength and all round breadth and diversity of opportunity, our emphasis is on high standards; academic, sporting, creative and social. We aim to provide the highest standard of care and education for children aged between 3 months and 13 + years.
St John’s is situated in its own extensive and attractive grounds on the border of Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire, overlooking Chepstow castle and the picturesque Wye Valley.
Words and pictures can never do full justice to this particular school. There are aspects we cannot properly convey here; the significance we place on courtesy and good manners; the real sense of family atmosphere that prevails; the enormous amount of hard work put in by all the staff; and the genuine concern we have for the welfare and development of every child. And we can only hint at our beautiful setting and excellent facilities.
Our aims are:
- To successfully prepare our pupils both academically and socially for the next stage of education, normally at the age of 13.
- To create a safe, caring and happy environment within which all pupils feel valued and secure.
- To work closely with parents for the good of the children.
- To identify individual needs and to help children move towards realising their potential academically, intellectually, physically, aesthetically, culturally and spiritually.
- To resource the school to provide for a variety of educational experiences.
A recent ISI inspection report stated St John’s as ‘EXCELLENT’ across all areas of school life. The school comprehensively fulfils all these aims and is proud to be such a high achieving school. We continue to strive for excellence and will continue to develop.
- Boys' Boarding: 8 (7 to 13)
- Girls' Boarding: 8 (7 to 13)
- Total Pupils: 162
- Day Fees: £2633 to £4334/term
- Boarding Fees: £6099/term
Scholarships, Bursaries & Fees
Our 11+ Scholarships provide generous financial awards for talented pupils for Academic, Art, Design Technology, Drama, Music and Sport.